Monday, October 22, 2007

FIBA RULES

Will the FIBA rules be introduced IN THE PBA? – September 10, 2007
I HOPE SO. It means the league is 100% committed to regaining Asian basketball supremacy as naïveté in international rules is often one of our weaknesses. If PBA prepares the national team it might as well give its 100%. No more no less. As previous half-hearted preparations only resulted in massive disappointments, I think PBA should learn something by now. I’m joining the clamor (since time immemorial) for our defeats are getting to be unbearable. It’s not fun to see our players getting “outsmarted” as a pro-Jordan hack said in an Asian b-ball website by the opposition. I want the PBA to know this as it might convince them to revert to FIBA rules. If they don’t fine, their players are not the ones who look like clowns abroad. There are indications however that they would. We’ll keep our fingers crossed.
The most famous complaint against FIBA rules is its boring in my opinion though exciting players make exciting league. Team Pilipinas is the most exciting team in the Jones Cup and FIBA rules is being used. It will not stifle the game provided the players themselves play hard every night. Unfortunately I could cite few players who give their hearts out every game Tubid, Cardona, Taulava, Alapag and usually the rookies. The 10-, 15-year veterans at least some of them look like they are dragging themselves on the court – a sorry sight indeed. My hope is with the introduction of FIBA rules I could see more crisp passing and movement on all five offensive players.

PBA is now implementing modified FIBA rules – October 2007. I’m curious what will happen with these new rules will it make PBA exciting or not? My stand is players make exciting league.

My present verdict is – so far so good! October 18, 2007



Related Posts by Categories



No comments: