Monday, November 17, 2008

Mac Cardona wants to play for Team Pilipinas

In what many people consider as a statement game, Mac Cardona scored 42 points and was unstoppable against Red Bull, leading his team (Talk n Text) to a 103 - 93 victory.

"I think I deserve to be in the National Team. I admire coach Yeng for his ability to motivate his players. I hope he’ll reconsider me because I really want to play and represent the country. Players don’t get the opportunity to play for the RP team everyday" Mac Cardona told the press.

This is great! While there are players willing to get out of the National Team commitment, I'm glad Mac Cardona is of different mold. I believe most young Filipino basketball players are gung ho in representing the country unlike some cagers in the 90s. This is not just my observation. Knowledgeable basketball fans will agree with me. Hey even Chot Reyes share my sentiment.

"It’s a very healthy attitude. It’s good that we have players willing to serve the country, unlike before na parang wala ng gustong maglaro for the RP team,” Reyes told Philstar.com

I know one player who got a lecture from Coach Jong Uichico back in 2001 for asking about allowance ON THE FIRST DAY OF TRAINING instead of concentrating on practice. His teammate from their mother team sympathized with him, in effect siding with the wrong doer. They were never invited for national team duties again. I hope there are more players like Mac Cardona (who not only stated his intention but displayed it on the court).


It doesn't mean the PHILIPPINE Basketball Association shares the same nationalistic fervor as Mac Cardona. The PBA will stop donning the national colors after 2010 since it is not their responsibility to do so. It is like saying it is not the English Premier League's job to represent England in the World Cup or the Euro (not Generals).

Mac Cardona's weakness according to fans is his weak defense which they say will be a huge liability against international teams. He has short period of time to work on it and show Yeng Guiao, he is really serious in joining the national team. The ball is in Mac Cardona's hands.

Mac Cardona

Nickname: Captain Hook
Height: 6-2
Weight: 175 lbs
Position: Shooting Guard
College: De La Salle University
Year Drafted: 2005 by Fedex
Achievements (so far): 2007 Best Player of the Conference Fiesta Conference
Weapon: Tear drop shot once mastered like Tony Parker could be hard to block in international competitions

This guy is a leader and scorer.





Related Posts by Categories



No comments: